We have recently received several emails regarding water leakage from the top of the portafilter in the Robot. We would like to provide a detailed explanation of this situation.
Firstly, it is essential to note that when new to the Robot, the seal needs to expand with use. Therefore, if you experience water leaks from the top of the portafilter, here are a few things to consider:
- The grind might not be fine enough. Occasionally, the water can also leak due to a coarse grind. The shot time is say 25-35 seconds.
- Weight the water: please ensure that the water is filled to 5mm below the basket's rim instead of weighting the water.
- Let the lever arms fall: Never let the arms fall itself which could result in water leakage. Make sure to press down on both arms evenly as this makes the v-shaped bottom of the seal flare out.
- The piston seal might not be seated correctly. Take out the gasket and apply some silicone grease, like the DOW 111 provided in the package. Then, re-insert the gasket.
- If you are having the Barista Robot, please check if the tube/metal sleeve is pinched.
It is essential to push the lever arms hard to ensure that the seal is flared out correctly. If the water level is high, the seal will flare out immediately. Additionally, it is recommended to apply silicone grease, such as Dow 111, on the piston seal, which is included in the package.
Please also refer to the troubleshooting in the booklet or via the following links:
Troubleshooting "Water leaks from the top of the portafilter.": https://www.cafelat.co.uk/blogs/cafelat-robot-manual/troubleshooting
Each Robot is carefully inspected and tested before being sent, and Cafelat UK keeps records of all purchases. We strive to ensure that every unit works correctly. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thank you again for choosing Cafelat Robot - Manual Espresso Maker.